Thursday, May 31, 2012

Raspberry Muff'n - custom Big Muff fuzz pedal clone


Here's on of my favorite new projects, a custom clone of the venerable Big Muff fuzz effect pedal by Electro Harmonix. This pedal sounds good on guitar, but phenomenal on bass. Here's a video demo:


I made a couple changes to resistors to change the gain response and final output - I basically spent an evening on my couch with the breadboarded prototype of this pedal, switching resistors and seeing how I liked it.

There are lots of sites out there with the original Big Muff schematic, but I worked off the resources at www.generalguitargadgets.com. GGG is an incredible site - they have tons of info and also sell ready-to-solder effect kits and tons of parts. I opted to go with a fully DIY stompbox with an old school Radio Shack circuit board: shown below after the jump (with schematic info):




I also ended up using a bunch of parts from www.pedalpartsplus.com, including a 'blem' enclosure that was more than nice enough to use for the final project. I recommend you check them out, too!

The schematic of the pedal is below, with my modifications, and some references to the original.

More DIY pedals will be coming soon, so check back on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment